What is Ethical? Are My Products Really Ethical?
Whenever we buy, we are actually executing a spending decision, we can buy with ethics in mind or without, the decision is entirely ours – provided we are informed with the right information. Many buyers don’t have access to the best information. We define “What is Ethical” here; this article will give readers a good guide to help ensure they buy ethical products in the future.
What are ethical products?
Anyone can buy products, it’s much harder to buy products with ethics though! Ethical products are “Products, which are manufactured or grown with the objective of complying with certain beliefs or values”.
One person’s core ethics will vary to another person’s, it’s all about choosing a path we are comfortable with and then trying to buy products which meet our core beliefs and values. Most ethical lifestyles will demand buying products which are friendly to the environment and are grown from sustainable resources. A challenge though will be to find products, which comply with these values.
Ways to tell whether products are ethical
Here is a simple checklist to look for to ascertain whether products are ethical or not:
- Ethical accreditations – the product clearly states ethical accreditations, e.g. BDA (organic), Fair Trade, Fair Wear, Leaping Bunny (Cruelty Free), Natural label, Soil Association or vegan certified, etc. There are many accreditations to choose from
- Ethical business – the products are made by a well-known ethical business
- Ethical source – buy from an ethical products store, website or app (such as GoEthical)
- Ingredients list – particularly on food and beverages, the ingredients list can give clues in areas such as organically produced (including pesticide free), palm oil free, vegan
- Made locally – for many people, products being made locally is important, both to support local artisans and craftsmen, as well as to avoid the long-distance environmental costs of transporting products. Local products also help to deliver sustainability
- Not tested on animals – products can be checked to see if they are certified as cruelty free, this is often important in health and beauty products
- Packaging – when examining packaging it is fairly easy to check for its biodegradability and recyclability
Buy and sell a large range of ethical products at GoEthical
If finding ethical products is a dilemma look no further than GoEthical. Our sellers are vetted and self-certify stating their ethical core values. We are not like “any other shopping app”, we are a community. The app has been specially designed with integrated functionality to bring buyers and sellers together through messaging, chat, discussion forums, Q&A and so much more. So, why not join the happy community at GoEthical for FREE and save money?
Contacting GoEthical for further information
If you have any questions about using GoEthical call us on 020 8337 2175 or complete our contact form. If you are a seller looking to sell ethical products then why not signup to GoEthical as a Pro-Seller, by clicking here.
Download the GoEthical app now through Apple or Google Play. Here are the links:
Image Credit: PX Fuel