The coronavirus pandemic has changed society in many ways, including altering the cleaning and hygiene regimes in many households.
If you are aiming to keep the virus at bay in your own home while still being able to maintain as much normality as possible, you will need the right cleaning products to assist you in your efforts. This can be a challenge if you are also interested in using brands which comply with your eco-friendly principles or if product sustainability is at the top of the agenda.
Here are just a few suggestions of which cleaning products to choose if you want to make your home clean, green and properly sanitised in the age of COVID-19.
Hand soaps & personal hygiene
Hand washing is one of the most important weapons in our fight against the coronavirus, but you may also know that liquid soap dispensers are not the most environmentally sound option. Thankfully there are plenty of eco-conscious soap brands that use a mixture of traditional methods and biodegradable packaging to create products that are hygienic as well as good for the planet as a whole.
Brands like Silvan offer soap bars that do not have any of the damaging chemicals you might find in more generic varieties. There are also the super-sustainable bar soap brands like Acala, the Evergreen Soap Company and The Little Soap Company with its Eco Warrior range to consider.
You can find lots of eco-friendly options on GoEthical – The Ethical Life Marketplace App, where ethical brands and conscientious consumers can come together and find one another with ease. From hand soaps to hair shampoo, soap and butter bars, shaving soap, and beauty products to organic and vegan snacks and fashion, there is something for everyone available.
Antibacterial sprays & more
With a deadly virus potentially lurking for days on surfaces touched by coronavirus carriers, people are choosing to disinfect any new items which are brought into their homes to limit the likelihood of falling victim to it. This means you will probably be getting through a lot of cleaning products simply to safely bring groceries home from the store or accept online deliveries. So, why not use an eco friendly cleaning product or soap? “Make the switch”!
In terms of the companies which are catering to this need while also sticking to the eco principles and cruelty free credentials that so many consumers hold dear, once again you can look for suitable antibacterial products on GoEthical. This not only includes sprays for dealing with dirty surfaces but also detergents for floor cleaning, dishwashing, bathroom battling (including toilets), glass surfaces, limescale removal and much more besides.
Even more, eco-credentials and reusability are available on GoEthical from eco-friendly brands like Clean Living, Elmkind, Eco Bravo, Funky Soap Shop, so it is simply a matter of finding a brand you can relate to at a price point you can appreciate.
With hygiene at a premium during the COVID-19 pandemic, it is also highly advisable to use a range of cleaning accessories for everyday use.
Shop around and many of these cleaning accessories are available from ethical brands which use materials, which won’t harm the environment.
Examples of cleaning accessories to use include:
- Cleaning cloths (look for environmentally-friendly solutions, e.g. made with Bamboo)
- Cleaning sachets and wipes (for general use and also for cleaning floors, glass and in the bathroom)
- Dishwashing Sponges (look for ones made with eco-friendly materials such as Loofah)
- Refill Sachets – most environmental brands (such as Clean Living International) have handy refill sachets to replenish cleaning supplies without having to throw away the original container to store the cleaning fluid. This is usually in a container such as an aluminium bottle
Bundles and complete cleaning kits
Why buy separate products when you can buy cost-saving bundles from many of the eco-friendly cleaning brands? These typically feature entire product ranges, which will vary from one brand to another but typically include cleaning fluids, cloths/wipes and a range of accessories.
Not only are bundles and kits a convenient buy, but they can also save a lot of money with bundled products typically saving 10% – 25% off buying products individually.
Bundles also give you the opportunity to sample entire product ranges and maybe sample products you otherwise might not choose to buy individually.
Many ethical brands present the kits in such a way that they make an ideal gift, take a look at the Complete Cleaning Kit from Clean Living International in the image below as one example which would make an ideal gift.
Ethical values to look for when buying cleaning products
Here are just some of the values to look for when you next buy cleaning products:
- Biodegradable – look for cleaning fluids and packaging which are biodegradable
- Chemical-free – choose products, which are chemical free and won’t harm the environment
- Cruelty-free – search for products which are never tested on animals
- Natural – select products which use natural ingredients wherever possible
- Organic – choose to buy cleaning materials which use organic oils and ingredients
- Recyclable – buy products which are in recyclable containers and offer refillable cleaning fluids
- Sustainable – looks for brands, which value sustainability and can demonstrate how/why their products are sustainable
Why not search through cleaning brands on GoEthical? Here you will find brands with cleaning products which are highly compatible with the ethical values listed above.
Find out more
If you are wondering about what to buy to keep your home clean during the pandemic, or you simply want to know more then contact us. GoEthical – The Ethical Life Marketplace App is available to download via the following links:
- iOS – https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/bazar-ethical-marketplace/id1419940679?l=en
- Google Play – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bazarapp.android&hl=en
Call us on 020 8337 2175 to speak to one of our friendly team can then talk you through what you need to know.
Image Credit: Cotton Bro