Many ethical consumers are looking to live a “plastic-free” lifestyle and are moving away from single-use plastics and are searching for solutions. One such solution are zero waste products; these are available in many ethical markets – one of these being health and beauty.
Each year the beauty industry produces 120 billion units of packaging, most of which are plastic-based, here we explore plastic-free alternatives.
Predominantly packaging is the main consumer of plastic in the industry. Here are alternative materials, which are becoming increasingly used:
- Bamboo – there are many uses for bamboo including brushes, cotton buds, etc.
- Biodegradable plastic – although still a form of plastic, biodegradable plastic takes between 3-6 months to decompose. This is massively quicker than synthetic plastic equivalents
- Card and cardboard – used as a packaging and sometimes as containers for beauty products
- Metal – many eco brands are moving to metal-based containers (e.g. bottles) and give consumers the option to refill when empty
- Paper – products are often wrapped in thick forms of paper, in tubes and a wide variety of packaging shapes
Ethical qualities to look for with zero waste beauty and makeup products
Look for these ethical qualities when buying beauty and makeup products:
- Biodegradable – a main issue with plastic is the polluting impact it is having, particularly in landfill sites and the oceans. Ethical manufacturers replace plastic with a range of biodegradable materials
- Eco-friendly – naturally, using plastic-free alternatives is a great solution for the environment
- Plastic free – in itself being plastic-free is a quality for any ethical buyer, such as “Love the Planet Makeup”, which is available on bazar
- Recyclable – ethical companies removing plastic from products tend to use a variety of recyclable materials such as bamboo, card, paper, etc.
Zero free health and beauty products to buy on GoEthical
Here are just a few brands on GoEthical which sell zero waste products:
- Buff – with a motto of refill-reuse-recycle Buff’s product range are 99% plastic free and 100% recyclable
- Funky Soap Shop – their product range is stored paper, glass and aluminium and is packaged in bubble wrap and bags, which are fully biodegradable
- Love the Planet Makeup – buy from the beautiful collection of plastic free make-up offered by Love the Planet
Download the GoEthical App and make a difference
Download GoEthical and choose from a wide selection of ethical products via these links:
Call us on 020 8337 2175 or contact us via email.
Image Credit: Anna Olliinyk